Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Boko Haram Insurgency Has Given Us Sleepless Nights – Northern Governors' Wives.

The association of wives of state governors from the North, Northern Governors' Wives Forum (NGWF) , Tuesday, declared that its members have been under serious trauma, having sleepless nights since the Boko Haram insurgency began in the region.The governors wives declared that as mothers, they have been particularly worried about the fate of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls since their abduction over nine months ago by Boko Haram gunmen.Led by their chairperson, Mrs. Dooshima Yemisi Suswan, they made their feelings known in Maiduguri where they made donations of relief materials to victims of insurgency in Borno State as part of their N40 million assistance to victims of disaster in the North.Dooshima Suswam, wife of the Benue State governor, led six other members of the forum to Maiduguri for the donation, which they described as their widow's mite to the victims of the insurgency.The others include Hajiya Halima Wada(Kogi), Salamatu Almakura (Nasarawa), Hanatu Ngillari (Adamawa) Jamila Sanni (Taraba), Fatima Yero (Kaduna) and Jummai Babangida (Niger).Speaking at the occasion , the chairperson of the Forum said: “Northern Governor's wives have not been able to sleep well and so we inquired how we may reach and thought it wise to support the effort of your government and well-meaning individuals and organisations to supply our widow's mite.“Silver and gold we have not but that which we have as mothers is food.”She disclosed that the donation was from the proceeds of the launch of the forum's almanac initiatives, adding that four states, including Borno was selected as pilot states.She therefore called on parents not to allow the abductions of Chibok girls to discourage them from enrolling their children in school, saying: “To those who may think of the Chibok girls and further shy away from sending their female child/ward to school, please don't be discouraged, education is still the best empowerment.“The story of the Chibok girls, a major disaster is still fresh and ever since then we have not stopped to pray for them, the families, government and the Federal Government, we shall sustain our prayers as mothers until we get a breakthrough.”In her remarks at the occasion, wife of the Borno State Governor, Hajiya Nana Kashim Shettima, called on the Federal Government to intensify effort in rescuing the abducted Chibok girls and other people abducted by Boko Haram.Speaking earlier when the forum paid a courtesy visit on Governor Kashim Shettima, the forum chairperson said the aim of their visit is to commiserate with the state government and the entire people of the North East over the numerous lives that have been lost.“We are here to encourage you and to let you know that you are not alone. This struggle and unwanted occurrences in the land takes serious efforts, do not take offence from any quarters, ignore some of their personal disappointments, consider it sacrifices for responsive leadership,” she added.Responding to the goodwill of the Forum, Shettima expressed his gratitude for the gesture, saying he was really touched.The governor said he was confident that Nigeria would continue to remain a single and indivisible entity despite the fears in some quarters. By thewillnigeria.com

No comments:

Post a Comment